Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: WSAPoll() needs Vista

From: Gisle Vanem <gvanem () broadpark no>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 23:05:50 +0100

"Henri Doreau" <henri.doreau () gmail com> wrote:

Is this check the standard way to do it on windows? It seems a bit cryptic
to me and a quick search doesn't show anything similar in the nmap code. Is
there a way for our compile chain on windows to dynamically define
HAVE_POLL, depending on the availability of the WSAPoll() function?

Regrettably not. No auto*tools for MSVC builds. But we could load
"ws2_32.dll" and figure out if it has WSAPo() at runtime (using  GetProcAddress).
That is what libdnet-stripped/src/route-win32.c does for "GetIpForwardTable2".
Although it should that for "FreeMibTable" too. Hint, hint.

In other words, an actual function test (as done by configure on *nix systems)
instead of an OS version number check?

The configure way disregard the possibly that a nmap.exe built on machine-X would work on a (non-configure) machine-Y. We use
Nsis to distribute nmap and chums, so we better make sure the
programs work on most Windows machines.

--gv