Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE Windows Raw Socket Fatal Error for Non-Admin (or UAC is Enabled)

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:05:00 -0700

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 09:02:06PM +0000, Rob Nicholls wrote:
I'm having trouble with Nmap on Windows. It seems that Nmap has
previously been fairly quietly failing with an error when I run the
following command with a "low privileged" account (an Admin user
with UAC enabled):

nmap xxx.xxxxxx.xxx -p 80 --script ipidseq -n -Pn -vv --reason -sCV -d2

For example, I get the following error with r29915:

Initiating NSE at 11:51
NSE: 'ipidseq' (thread: 02FF52D8) against xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx threw an
error!
C:\Program Files\Nmap/scripts\ipidseq.nse:213: failed to open raw
socket: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by
its
access permissions.
(errno 10013)
stack traceback:
         [C]: in function 'ip_open'
         C:\Program Files\Nmap/scripts\ipidseq.nse:213: in function
<C:\Program Files\Nmap/scripts\ipidseq.nse:204>
         (...tail calls...)

Completed NSE at 11:51, 0.00s elapsed

This appears to be a lua error generated when udata->sock == -1. But
I've noticed that r30017 onwards seems to have a fatal error message:

Initiating NSE at 09:46
socket troubles in nmap_raw_socket: An attempt was made to access a
socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions.
  (10013)

This kills the scan completely. Is it possible that revisions
29931-29936 are responsible for the fatal change in behaviour, when
nmap_raw_socket was introduced? I noticed that r29931 added:

Thanks Rob. Please try r30160.

David