Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: NSE Connection Problems on Windows?

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () robnicholls co uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 10:09:15 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: David Fifield [mailto:david () bamsoftware com]
Sent: 11 October 2012 18:09
To: Rob Nicholls
Cc: Nmap dev
Subject: Re: NSE Connection Problems on Windows?

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 03:59:18PM +0100, Rob Nicholls wrote:
I've recently experienced some weird behaviour running NSE scripts
using a version of Nmap I've built myself from SVN on Windows. It
seems to affect scripts that access the same port (e.g. ntp, snmp),
where one or more of them seem to execute properly and then the
remaining ones seem to hang (presumably forever). When it happens,
Nmap will just say something like:

Maybe you can bisect this and find a revision where it broke?

The issue appears to start with r29631:

29479 - works
29567 - works
29625 - works
29627 - works
29628 - works
29631 - bad
29638 - bad
29648 - bad
29787 - bad

It's not immediately obvious to me why it starts with that revision, but
maybe it's another UDP port bug in the rpc-grind code? I should probably
mention that the host I'm scanning doesn't respond to any requests on that
range of UDP ports (100-200), so service/version scanning shouldn't identify
any services, but perhaps it sets some default service names?

When I disable service/version detection the scan completes fine. I've also
just tried replacing the portrule in rpc-grind.nse to always return false
and then the scan runs okay too.

Rob