Nmap Development mailing list archives

Host timeouts on large SYN scans

From: pierre.lalet () cea fr
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 13:03:59 +0200

Hi list,

I run scans on a LAN / fast WAN with "-iL -" and an external script feeds the targets in a random order when select() says nmap's stdin is ready.

"--host-timeout" is set to "15m" or "60m"

After running a Ping scan against 4096 targets, nmap runs a succession of (SYN, Service, Traceroute, NSE) scans against "hostgroups".

The first hostgroup has 4 hosts, and all the next ones have 64 (or whatever specified with --max-hostgroup). At first everything works pretty fine, but after a few hostgroups (5 to 10), all the "SYN Stealth Scan" task end with "XX hosts timed out" (with XX the size of the hostgroup).

This is 100% reproducible, and happens with the SVN version. I didn't try with the stable version yet.

I've then tried some tweaks like "--nogcc" or specifying a "--min-parallelism" value (e.g. 30) with no different result.

I have no rate-limiting device between the targets and the scan machine.

Do you have an idea of what I could do to try to debug (or fix !) this issue?

Regards,

Pierre