Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Why 232 rounds?

From: "Luis MartinGarcia." <luis.mgarc () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 22:56:00 +0100

Hi, Fyodor.

Some responses in-line:

On 09/13/2012 01:53 AM, Fyodor wrote:

Thanks Luis, though you might find that merging patches (such as this
one) to trunk as they are completed (and tested) may make the merge of
your whole branch to trunk easier by limiting the size and number of
code changes that need to be done at once.  It also makes it easier to
detect and isolate regressions.  Of course this may not be practical
for more involved changes that involve code which has changed
substantially since the branch.

I agree. I just chose to fix the issue only in my dev branch because the
code that handles the round count now is completely different from the
one in trunk (it's not even in the same file). I would have fixed it in
both versions if it had been something critical.

Also, is nmap-npingchanges currently in a working state?

In theory yes, it is in a working state.

Maybe I need
to build it differently or something, but I just get a seg fault when
I try to run it.

Interesting. I have added a few assert()s and debug messages. Could you
please update the whole branch (including nmap and libnetutil), and try
to run it again passing "-d4". The debug output may help me narrow the
problem.

Thanks. Regards,

Luis MartinGarcia.