Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [BUG] after pcre.h is found, configure checks for pcre/pcre.h

From: John Spencer <maillist-nmap () barfooze de>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 22:26:15 +0200

On 09/10/2012 09:15 PM, David Fifield wrote:

This is a bit annoying to fix, so I think we will only do so if we get a
patch.

The problem is not this part of configure.ac, which checks for pcre.h,
and then only checks for pcre/pcre.h if that fails:

# If they didn't specify it, we try to find it
if test $have_pcre != yes -a $requested_included_pcre != yes ; then
   AC_CHECK_HEADER(pcre.h,
     AC_CHECK_LIB(pcre, pcre_version, [have_pcre=yes ]),
     [AC_CHECK_HEADER(pcre/pcre.h,
       [AC_CHECK_LIB(pcre, pcre_version, [have_pcre=yes])]
     )]
   )
fi

The extra check is this one, which is done if either pcre.h or
pcre/pcre.h is found:

# We only need to check for and use this if we are NOT using included pcre
   AC_CHECK_HEADERS(pcre/pcre.h)

Notice that the first checks are done with AC_CHECK_HEADER and the
second check is done with AC_CHECK_HEADERS. AC_CHECK_HEADERS has the
effect of defining HAVE_PCRE_PCRE_H, which is used in a couple of places
like nse_pcrelib.h.

why not use AC_CHECK_HEADERS for the first test then ?

but then, the real cause of this seems to be inclusion of libpcre in the source tree, against all good practices, just to make life simpler for windos folks. but can they even unpack a tar file ?