Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ncat - UNIX-domain sockets support

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 13:12:55 -0700

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:32:09AM -0400, Tomas Hozza wrote:
I started implementing the support for UNIX-domain
sockets for ncat. I implemented listening on a given
socket using the same algorithm/mechanism used for
example in ncat_listen_stream() function. I'll post
the code here later, but it is not finished yet.

But when I looked on the algorithm/mechanism used
when connecting using for example nsock_connect_tcp()
function in ncat_connect() it looked too complicated
to me for connecting to UNIX-domain sockets.

I thought I could use pretty much the same mechanism
used for listening (using select() in a while loop)
for connecting to UNIX domain socket and not to use
the nsock code.

Can I get any opinions on this, please? If anybody thinks
it shouldn't be done this way, or if it could be.

I don't think we want to have a select loop separate from Nsock. It is
better to add domain socket support to Nsock for connect mode, and not
reimplement connect mode (along with everything else like delays and
telnet negotiation).

Unfortunately Nsock doesn't have listening support, or we would use it
for Ncat listen mode as well.

David Fifield