Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Date formats for structured output

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 09:27:44 -0700

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 10:51:37AM -0500, Daniel Miller wrote:
One takeaway is that libraries in general should return unformatted
data to scripts, and let scripts do their own formatting
(smb.get_os() does some formatting of time values that made it
necessary to modify it to return raw values to format this timestamp
as ISO8601).

I've noticed this as well. Some libraries are returning values that are
convenient for the screen output we have been using, but are not as
atomic as we would like for individual data items. Perhaps this will be
a good development all around as it will encourage library authors to
make their return value easy to use.

David Fifield