Nmap Development mailing list archives

Structured script output merged

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 12:05:16 -0700

I have just merged the new structured script output change in r29570.
Scripts can now return a name–value table and that table will be
represeted in XML output as a hierarchy of elements.

For example a script returning thus:
        local o = stdnse.output_table()
        o.name = "user"
        o.uid = 1000
        return o
will have its normal output formatted thus:
        | test:
        |   name: user
        |_  uid: 1000
and its XML output will appear thus:
        <script id="test" output="&#xa;  name: user&#xa;  uid: 1000">
                <elem key="name">user</elem>
                <elem key="uid">1000</elem>
        </script>

There are some more details which I'll cover in a followup message.

Daniel Miller deserves most of the credit for this new feature. He did
almost all of the implementation and prototyping, and also had the
persistence to see this work get done. Patrick Donnelly helped with
design and implementation. I helped integrate the patches. Thanks also
to those who contributed to the design on the mailing list or wiki.

David Fifield