Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Looking at the windows 64 sockets allowed bug.

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () robnicholls co uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 08:21:45 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: nmap-dev-bounces () insecure org [mailto:nmap-dev-
bounces () insecure org] On Behalf Of James Rogers
Sent: 15 July 2012 01:09
To: Henri Doreau
Cc: nmap-dev () insecure org
Subject: Re: Looking at the windows 64 sockets allowed bug.

I am also researching why windows was intentionally limited to just 5
connections at a time.  It may be that there is a problem in previous
versions
of windows that require the 5 connection limit.

Windows XP SP2 introduced a hardcoded limit of 10 half-open TCP connections.
I believe this also affected Windows Vista (although I think the limits
varied based on the version of Vista) until SP2. The server versions of
Windows weren't affected IIRC. I suspect 5 was chosen to give the OS some
breathing room when Nmap scans were running. It may be possible to detect
the limit (as you could patch tcpip.sys on XP to change the limit, so it may
not always be 10 there) and allow a higher number of connections where
appropriate.

Rob