Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: http-iis-short-name-brute.nse BUG?

From: "Dev (nmap)" <dev.kyckel () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:24:37 +0200

Hi Richard,

I've thought about adding some kind of procedure for detecting/brute-forcing the last part of the name, maybe by combining the found folders with "http-folders.txt", but I haven't come up with anything useful yet. But if I do, I'll add it to the script.

In regards to the web.config file, the only thing I can think of right now, is the MS10-070 vulnerability.

- Jesper

Hi Jesper,

Thanks for point the research paper, based on it I see the issue is not that important as I was expecting, my current understand is that we can't access the files via shortnames, we need to guess the full name to access it.

If we can't find it by simple guessing name, looking at google and look for fuzzdb database for a similar name. Well, in practice many times this approach will fail, so I guess the only reliable way is to brute-force the discovered shortnames. Do you know any tool able to do it? Or maybe could you add it as a script for nmap? :)

Also, do you know any trick to obtain contents of web.config? On my test machine obviously it listed it, but I can't download since the webserver (IIS) do not serves it. There is any trick (maybe ADS related) to force download of this file?

Thanks