Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Problems with nmap with openvz or bridge interfaces

From: Djalal Harouni <tixxdz () opendz org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 14:16:15 +0100

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 07:54:14PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 05:06:05PM +0100, Djalal Harouni wrote:
These are virtual network interfaces of type "void" [1]

OpenVZ containers use them for their venet interfaces [2], they do not
support mac addresses, nor arp...

Adding and using the following, like in the previous patch should let Nmap
print interfaces:
#define ARP_HRD_VOID    0xFFFF  /* Void type, nothing is known */

Please note that: that memcpy() for venet is nop since they do not
support MAC addresses.

However I'm sure that this will faile at least for:
(1) Privileged scans will fail for venet interfaces and other IPv6 tricks.

(2) Can't list Nmap routes correctly due to another bug which I'm tracking.
  This is related to the IPv6 merge 'r23778' and some parts that were
  removed.

Why should it fail, just because of a lack of a MAC address? That should
be fine; we use raw sockets, not Ethernet, by default on Linux.
Hi David,

Thanks for the response I'll get back to this thread soon.
Need some time to test venet support and Nmap features on it, and to fix
other network interfaces and routes problems related to (2).

Thanks.

David Fifield

--
tixxdz