Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Bug in Nmap 6.00: problems with changing the GUI language

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 08:42:54 -0700

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:27:56PM +0200, Martin Hinsch wrote:
Dear Nmap-Dev-Team,

I really love your little but powerful tool.

Unfortunately I can not change the language in Nmap to English. I am
using Nmap 6.00 (32bit installer) with Win7 SP1 (64bit) (German
version).

The user guide <http://nmap.org/book/zenmap-lang.html> states that I
must change a Windows Environment Variable named LANG to "en" or
"en_US". I did create this new variable. The effect is not visible in
Nmap. The GUI is still in German. Thus the GUIs of other tools like
VLC player and VirtualBox are now in English.

There is a similar bug in your dev database
<http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q4/731>. This bug seemed fixed in
r16368 but now seems unresolved.

I'm guessing that the change in r16368 never really worked. I suppose
that setting LANG=en_US doesn't work, because we don't have en
translation files. Then the system looks next at the global locale, and
picks German.

A workaround is to rename the directory
C:\Program Files\Nmap\share\zenmap\locale\de.

One other thing to try is to set LANG=C. That might work, even if
LANG=en does not.

David Fifield