Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap 6 bug

From: Greg McClelland <gmcclell () orthone com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 14:12:01 +0000

I had Nmap 5.51 installed and it worked perfectly. I installed Nmap 6 and it reports everything as not responding (use
-Pn) Switches, routers, workstations, servers.

Command used: nmap 172.x.x.x

Nmap 5 output - yellow text:

Host is up (0.0034s latency).
Not shown: 994 closed ports
PORT     STATE SERVICE
135/tcp  open  msrpc
139/tcp  open  netbios-ssn
445/tcp  open  microsoft-ds
2002/tcp open  globe <-- possible reason for excessive traffic on this workstation, reason for the scan in the first
place
2967/tcp open  symantec-av
3389/tcp open  ms-term-serv
MAC Address: 18:A9:05:D6:B9:89 (Hewlett Packard)

Uninstalled Nmap 5.51, rebooted, installed Nmap 6 (Reinstalled using different downloaded files from your site - to
ensure no download issues.)

Exact same command as above, using Nmap 6:

Starting Nmap 6.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-06-11 09:44 Eastern Daylight Time

Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try -Pn

Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 1.13 seconds

Reboot does not help.

System specs:

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with SP1 and all other updates.
8 Gigs of RAM
I7 2720QM (2.20 GHz quad core laptop)
In a domain - domain firewall off by policy - Not my choice.
Fresh reboot of Windows
No related logs in Windows for Nmap
No traffic seems to be generated when I do a packet capture.

Also, there is a vulnerability in the version of Python that Nmap 5.51 is running. How do I update this? Better yet,
can you release or send me an updated version of 5.51? Until 6 is working, I am stuck on 5.

Thank you,

Greg McClelland MCSE  |  Systems Administrator
Ortho NorthEast ("ONE")
gmcclell () orthone com<mailto:gmcclell () orthone com> | direct tel: (260) 408-2190
1330 Medical Park Drive | Fort Wayne, Indiana 46825