Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Script execution error message

From: Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 23:11:39 +0200

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 8:18 AM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:

On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 08:35:13PM +0200, Patrik Karlsson wrote:
On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 12:01 AM, Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com
wrote:

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net>
wrote:
Thanks for the input Patrick. Personally, I see two scenarios here:
- A script/library is crashing for every execution due to some recent
changes somewhere in the code base
- A script/library is crashing due to some unexpected
behavior/response
from
a specific server service

In the second case it would be very useful to track the error to the
host/service triggering it without having to re-run the complete
scan in
verbose mode. Therefore I believe it would be better to keep the
error
messages individually.

Sure, that makes sense.

Ideally, we shouldn't be seeing much of these errors anyway, right?

Right. There are certain errors that are not unexpected though. For
example, we had require errors for openssl that we arbitrarily
silenced. In the future, we may want to add other errors which are
silenced as well. They may be generic like "wrong service" (e.g.
http-* scripts did not find a web server on port 80). This is,
admittedly, the opposite of your problem but still something to think
about.

--
- Patrick Donnelly

I removed the line feed and shortened/changed the message to:
ERROR: Script execution failed (use -d to debug)

Now it no longer says "unexpected", but it still indicates something went
wrong and informs the user about the option to debug.
Like I previously mentioned, it will only be shown instead of the stack
trace when the debug level is zero.

Just to make it more clear that one thing happens in debug mode, and
another thing in non-debug mode, let's do the patch like this. Please go
ahead and commit it.

David Fifield

Ok, thanks. I just committed this.

//Patrik