Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC][patch] XML structured script output

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 22:19:46 -0500

I've attached 2 xml files, before.xml and after.xml, which I hope I've
sanitized sufficiently from a quick scan of my network (-sC). Note
that these represent the output of scripts that have not been modified
in any way from their current state. Modifying scripts to use the
format recommended by stdnse.format_output will result in more useful
organization of results in the new XML format, and further clarifying
key-value pairs when returning results will make results even more
useful. See the documentation in the patch for stdnse.format_output
for an example:

---Takes a table of output on the commandline and formats it for display to the
-- user. This is basically done by converting an array of nested tables into a
-- string. In addition to numbered array elements, each table can have a 'name'
-- and a 'warning' value. The 'name' will be displayed above the table, and
-- 'warning' will be displayed, with a 'WARNING' tag, if and only if debugging
-- is enabled.
--
-- Here's an example of a table:
-- <code>
--   local domains = {}
--   domains['name'] = "DOMAINS"
--   table.insert(domains, {['Domain 1']="example.com"})
--   table.insert(domains, {['Domain 2']="nmap.org"})
--
--   local names = {}
--   names['name'] = "NAMES"
--   names['warning'] = "Not all names could be determined!"
--   table.insert(names, "Name 1")
--
--   local response = {}
--   table.insert(response, "Apple pie")
--   table.insert(response, domains)
--   table.insert(response, names)
--
--   return stdnse.format_output(true, response)
-- </code>
--
-- With debugging enabled, this is the output:
-- <code>
--   Host script results:
--   |  smb-enum-domains:
--   |    Apple pie
--   |    DOMAINS
--   |      Domain 1: example.com
--   |      Domain 2: nmap.org
--   |    NAMES (WARNING: Not all names could be determined!)
--   |_     Name 1
-- </code>
--
-- The same table will also be rendered for XML output as
-- <code>
-- <script id="smb-enum-domains">
--   <elem>Apple pie</elem>
--   <container name="DOMAINS">
--     <elem key="Domain 1">example.com</elem>
--     <elem key="Domain 2">nmap.org</elem>
--   </container>
--   <container name="NAMES" warning="Not all names could be determined!">
--     <elem>Name 1</elem>
--   </container>
-- </script>
-- </code>
--
--@param status A boolean value dictating whether or not the script succeeded.
--              If status is false, and debugging is enabled, 'ERROR'

Dan