Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: wrong domain name from reverse DNS lookup

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 13:48:19 -0700

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 03:14:27PM -0400, Pingzhong Li wrote:
Hi, expert,

I am looking for nmap user mailing list, however I didn't find one. So
I am sending email to this list. If it is wrong, please let me know
the correct nmap user mailing list.

When I run the the command "nmap -sn x.x.x.x/30" to get some of hosts
and also their domain name (host name), I found out that wrong domain
name is returned:

Starting Nmap 5.51 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-05-08 15:03 Eastern Daylight Time

Nmap scan report for name1.fiberlink.local (x.x.7.28)
Host is up (0.00s latency).
Nmap scan report for name2.xx.xx (x.x.7.29)
Host is up.
Nmap scan report for name3.xx.xx (x.x.7.30)
Host is up (0.00s latency).
Nmap scan report for name4.xx.xx (x.x.7.31)
Host is up (0.00s latency).
Nmap done: 4 IP addresses (4 hosts up) scanned in 0.72 seconds

My ip  address is x.x.7,.29, however the host name for that ip address
is not my host name. My host name appears for ip address x.x.7.28
which is my old IP address. I am connecting through the Cisco VPN, I
connected to my current ip address x.x.7.29 probably half an hour ago,
just wonder why the DNS resolution is still wrong.

These are the names that your DNS server returns. If you run
        ping x.x.7.29
you will probably see the same reverse names.

David Fifield