Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 6 fails to initialize on Windows xp sp3

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 16:00:41 -0700

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 02:54:12PM +0200, Venkataramanappa Sathyanarayana wrote:
I tried Nmap6  on Windows XP SP3. As startup, Nmap performed address
resolution with Neighbor solicitation sent using unspecified address
and Source Link layer address option.
Neighbor Solicitation message must not be sent with source as
unspecified address and having source link layer as specified in
RFC4861 section 7.1.1. Snapshot of the same indicated in bold.

Can you post your complete Nmap output? We do use IPv6 source addresses
when sending ND probes; it may be a bug that your source address is
being calculated as ::.

What is the output of this command?

nmap --route-dst ff02::1:ff19:37fe

What is the output of

nmap --iflist

Do the packets appear when you use the --packet-trace option? If not,
then they are being sent by the operating system, not by Nmap itself.

David Fifield