Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Old documentation on nmap.org (bennieston-tutorial)

From: Vlatko Kosturjak <vkosturj () griffin linux hr>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 08:25:48 +0200

I think secwiki can be abused for that.
--

Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com> wrote:

Twice in as many days I've seen the "Bennieston tutorial" linked as an
answer to questions about Nmap on serverfault.com. The tutorial itself
refers to version 4.11 as the latest version, and so it is quite out of
date. The specific error was an assertion that Nmap sends 0-byte UDP
payloads with its scans, which is no longer the case for some ports (DNS
was the example being discussed).

I bring this up to ask, is there an informal policy regarding old
documentation on nmap.org? I realize it's a fast-moving target, but even
a simple header for documentation pages listing the newest version
number and linking to the most up-to-date documentation (though it may
be more sparse) would help.

Just my 2 cents upon finding "new" old content on nmap.org.

Dan