Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Finding v6 hosts by efficiently mapping ip6.arpa

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 22:47:26 -0500

I think this is a neat script. Some things I'd like to see:

1. Use of the targets library to add discovered names to the scan queue, and
2. A test to see if the DNS server being used behaves in a way that
can be used. I'm thinking a third script-arg, a known resolvable
address that the script would then truncate to determine how the
server treats incomplete ip6.arpa names. This could avoid a lengthy
process of queries if the server doesn't treat incomplete names
differently from unresolvable names (as I understand it).

Way to go getting this implemented, though! Sufficiently awesome to
make me think it was an April Fools joke.

Dan