Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: EXPERT IPv6 network scaning

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 20:48:31 -0700

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 03:19:02AM +0200, Patrik Karlsson wrote:
On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 11:25 PM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>wrote:
This is another good idea. You could even just try stuffing the MAC
address into the EUI-64 format and try pinging it.

I gave this a try and ran into some problems.
First, making this a target script proved difficult as the script makes use
of both ipv4 and ipv6.
In the attached script I do discovery by adding a hostrule that stores the
MAC of scanned ipv4 hosts where it detects it.
Trying to add the ipv6 address at this point fails as nmap is running in
ipv4 mode.

In the postrule, I try to ping the EUI-64 address, which also turned out to
be difficult, as in order to create the raw icmp ping, we need the source
ipv6 address. We can't get that, as get_interface_info will use the current
socket family to retrieve info.
I modified the get_interface_info to take a second optional argument
("inet" or "inet6") to override the current socket family.

So the resulting script does find ipv6 addresses by detecting the MAC of
scanned ipv4 LAN hosts.
However, it only lists them and does not add them to the scan queue.

I'm attaching both the script and the patch, any comments or suggestions
would be great.

Thank you for checking this out. I'm going to suggest that we table the
idea until Nmap is able to handle IPv4 and IPv6 in the same invocation,
so that the script can work naturally.

David Fifield