Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Draft RFC on IPv6 Host Scanning

From: John Bond <john.r.bond () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 22:29:14 +0200

Yes i noticed this too, i started thinking about how best to script
this.  there is a bit of cross over with the address-info script and
im trying to think of the best way to combine them.  Or if they should
be combined at all.  My current thinking is that we should have a
script which
 + takes a V6 prefix as an argument, then adda newtargets for;
   -  [user supplied v6 prefix]:[user supplied oui]::/16 (using eui format)
   -  [user supplied v6 prefix]:[user supplied oui (By vendor
name)]::/16 (using eui format)
     -- prefefind common defaults for the above e.g.
vmware/virtualbox/hyperV/Xen
   -  [user supplied v6 prefix]:[user supplied ipv4 prefix]/[user
supplied bit mask]
   - something equivalent with toredo and 6to4
+ The same as above but using the prefix of the IPv6 host.ip either using;
  - a default bit mask
  - bit mask (and possibly ipv4 prefixes) fetched with targets-asn
  - usersupplied bitmask
+   Using similar methods to address-info to look at the host.ip and
work out what type of format is used*. i.e.
   -  [v6 prefix of host.ip]:[oui of host.ip]::/16 (using eui format)
   -  [v6 prefix of host.ip]:[ipv4 prefix of host.ip]/[user supplied bit mask]
   - something equivalent with toredo and 6to4

I hope all this makes sense, if anyone else has comments or was also
thinking about working on this let me know

cheers
john

*the EUI and ipv4 tests used in address-info would need to be updated
to something like the attached script.  however this would cause false
positives.  (a lot of the functions used here are copy and pasted
from address-info, it might be worth splitting some of them out into a
library)