Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Suggestion syntax

From: Martin Holst Swende <martin () swende se>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 20:34:12 +0200

On 03/15/2012 05:15 AM, David Fifield wrote:
On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 10:46:01AM +0100, Martin Holst Swende wrote:
Hi list,
Changing the topic, let's ignore the under-the-hood stuff for now.

I'd like to get feedback on the proposed syntax for script-suggest.
Right now,
we have two different versions.
1. --script-suggest <rules> and -sCS working in parallell with and
identical to --script <rules> and -sC
2. --script <rules>,$<rules>  , where $ (or whatever character we
choose) is a flag meaning "use this rule for suggestions", similar to
the force-flag.

Currently, [1] is implemented (based on discussions in
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2011/q4/389) and involved quite a lot of
changes here and there. [2] is not implemented, but would mean less
overall changes in the nmap framework. My personal preference is [1],
Patrick leans towards [2]. David, Fyodor, Patrik, Duarte?
Martin, I'm sorry this has gone so long without a decision. I think the
feeling is that this isn't useful enough to justify a new option or new
--script syntax.

But I'm still open to being convinced. Would you create a branch for
this patch in your nmap-exp directory? Then it will be a bit easier to
test and run.
I have created a branch at
https://svn.nmap.org/nmap-exp/scriptsuggest , please do test it. I
personally
think this feature is long overdue, since the amount of scripts are so
high.

Also, because I'm a bit worried about the manitainability
of the script args parser, having a working branch will be a test at how
well it can cope with other NSE changes.
Implementationwise, the script-args-parsing uses the exact same parsing
engine, so that should not be a problem.
Regards,
Martin
I don't like the $ prefix idea. --script-suggest is better, but I still
don't like it much. -sCS conflicts with established use that -sCS is the
same as -sC -sS.
David Fifield