Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: bug or host evasive action?

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 23:51:13 -0500

I'd be willing to bet that if you either ran Nmap as root or used a
slower timing (e.g. -T2), you'd be able to detect it. As an embedded
system, the router probably is running a single-threaded HTTP server,
and when Nmap performs a connection on port 80 to do host detection
(the default when running unprivileged), the server still considers
that connection open for a while afterwards, and so ignores the second
probe from the port scan phase. Scanning the whole network puts a
small delay between the phases as Nmap finishes scanning the rest of
the network, so the server has a chance to "reset" the socket.

Dan