Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [patch][RFC] Keep version information from NSE in XML even when -sV not requested

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 18:31:13 -0700

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 03:33:22PM -0500, Daniel Miller wrote:
List,

I recently did a scan for 1433/tcp, running ms-sql-info.nse, which
sets version information. I neglected to put -sV, partially because
the scan was enormous and I wanted to avoid extra probes
(ms-sql-info sends the same probe as the version detection engine,
anyway). Sadly, when I went to parse the XML output, the version
information (product, version, extrainfo) was missing from the XML,
even though the script populates those fields.

I think this makes perfect sense. Your patch gives simpler code and a
better design too. I applied the one that sends version info to both XML
and grepable.

I tested it with the cccam-version script because that's easy to
emulate.

$ ncat -l -k --sh-exec 'dd if=/dev/urandom bs=16 count=1' 10000
$ nmap --script=cccam-version -p10000 localhost -d -oX -

What's different with this patch is 'version="CCcam DVR card sharing
system"' in the output.

David Fifield