Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Reduce zenmap topology noise (patch)

From: Anders Sundman <anders () 4zm org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 08:42:09 +0100

Hi David,

On 2012-01-09 05:14, David Fifield wrote:
On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:51:28AM +0100, Anders Sundman wrote:

I suggest combining nodes in the graph that represent anonymous hops
between two known devices.

         / anon_1 \
..-> ip_a          ip_b -> ..  => .. -> ip_a -> anon_1 -> ip_b -> ..
         \ anon_2 /

Here is a patch implementing this behavior:

http://www.4zm.org/files/2011/integration.py.diff

I think I see what this is supposed to be doing, but it didn't work when
I tried it. Here's an XML traceroute file and a graphic of what I'm
seeing.

Thanks for testing the patch!

It only removes one anonymous hop and your trace contains a chain of two
anonymous hops. That's the reason why it won't work.

It would be great to extend the 'pruning' functionality to cover these
chains of anonymous hops as well. However I won't be able to do it any
time soon.

All the best,
Anders