Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Script execution error message

From: Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 23:55:12 +0200

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 11:45 PM, Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>wrote:

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net> wrote:
80/tcp open  http
| http-mirror:
|_  ERROR: Script execution failed unexpectedly! Re-run the script in
debug
mode for additional details.

The message might need re-wording into something more appropriate, and
also
I'm not sure whether the patch is in the right place or just completely
wrong.
So, any ideas or suggestions are most welcome!

Another possibility is collecting the scripts which failed into a
single error message in either the script output or as verbose
(verbosity == 0?) output. Or, maybe only print the warning for the
first script which fails in this way.

In your solution, it'd probably be nice to keep the error output to
something less than 65 characters so it always fits on one line.

--
- Patrick Donnelly

Thanks for the input Patrick. Personally, I see two scenarios here:
- A script/library is crashing for every execution due to some recent
changes somewhere in the code base
- A script/library is crashing due to some unexpected behavior/response
from a specific server service

In the second case it would be very useful to track the error to the
host/service triggering it without having to re-run the complete scan in
verbose mode. Therefore I believe it would be better to keep the error
messages individually.

Ideally, we shouldn't be seeing much of these errors anyway, right?

Cheers,
Patrik
--
Patrik Karlsson