Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [bug] nexthost: failed to find route to XXX (directly connected, with --randomize-hosts)

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 14:31:48 -0500

On 03/27/2012 11:42 PM, David Fifield wrote:
That's an interesting case. During the ping scan, is it breaking the
targets into many tiny little hostgroups because the ones that are
direct are not contiguous?

I double-checked the output I was getting, and this is not the case. I see a Ping scan of 15360 hosts, then it starts SYN+NSE scanning hostgroups of 1024 hosts. It gets through about 5 of those before it bails. Perhaps there was a problem with connectedness testing? Two different runs broke on two different IPs, both of which should have been directly connected according to --iflist and ifconfig/route.

I just wish I had a setup to test this on.

Dan