Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] edns-client-subnet-00

From: Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 09:13:02 +0100

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:43 PM, John Bond <john.r.bond () gmail com> wrote:

Hello nmap Hackers,

I have created a couple of scripts which implement the
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-vandergaast-edns-client-subnet-00
this is a draft ietf proposal but it is backed by google, verisign and
neustar. At least google has already implemented it on its
authoritative nameservers.  I have written a blog post describing the
scripts and its functions here
http://b4ldr.wordpress.com/2012/02/13/mapping-cdn-domains/.

In a nut shell it allows us to query CDN nameservers as if we were
coming from different subnets.  as an example instead of getting 6 ip
addresses for www.google.com. We get lots (see the end).

the two scripts requiere a patch to dns.lua.  As the scripts them self
are a bit of a corner case and only useful against google (to my
knowledge), i can understand if they are not committed but it would be
nice if the patch to dns.lua is so the scripts work out of the box.

cheers
John

nmap -sU -p 53 --script dns-client-subnet-scan  --script-args
dns-client-subnet-scan.domain=www.google.com  ns1.google.com </p>
Starting Nmap 5.61TEST4 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-02-13 21:19 CET
Nmap scan report for ns1.google.com (216.239.32.10)
Host is up (0.013s latency).
PORT   STATE         SERVICE
53/udp open|filtered domain
| dns-client-subnet-scan:
|   173.194.33.16
|   173.194.33.17
|   173.194.33.18
|   173.194.33.19
|   173.194.33.20
|   173.194.33.48
|   173.194.33.49
|   173.194.33.50
|   173.194.33.51
|   173.194.33.52
|   173.194.34.112
|   173.194.34.113
|   173.194.34.114
|   173.194.34.115
|   173.194.34.116
|   173.194.34.144
|   173.194.34.145
|   173.194.34.146
|   173.194.34.147
|   173.194.34.148
|   173.194.34.16
|   173.194.34.17
|   173.194.34.176
|   173.194.34.177
|   173.194.34.178
|   173.194.34.179
|   173.194.34.18
|   173.194.34.180
|   173.194.34.19
|   173.194.34.20
|   173.194.34.48
|   173.194.34.49
|   173.194.34.50
|   173.194.34.51
|   173.194.34.52
|   173.194.34.80
|   173.194.34.81
|   173.194.34.82
|   173.194.34.83
|   173.194.34.84
|   173.194.41.112
|   173.194.41.113
|   173.194.41.114
|   173.194.41.115
|   173.194.41.116
|   173.194.41.144
|   173.194.41.145
|   173.194.41.146
|   173.194.41.147
|   173.194.41.148
|   173.194.41.80
|   173.194.41.81
|   173.194.41.82
|   173.194.41.83
|   173.194.41.84
|   173.194.65.103
|   173.194.65.104
|   173.194.65.105
|   173.194.65.106
|   173.194.65.147
|   173.194.65.99
|   173.194.66.103
|   173.194.66.104
|   173.194.66.105
|   173.194.66.106
|   173.194.66.147
|   173.194.66.99
|   173.194.67.103
|   173.194.67.104
|   173.194.67.105
|   173.194.67.106
|   173.194.67.147
|   173.194.67.99
|   173.194.69.103
|   173.194.69.104
|   173.194.69.105
|   173.194.69.106
|   173.194.69.147
|   173.194.69.99
> [...]
|_  74.125.79.99
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 4.50 seconds

Hi John,

Nice work! I will review the scripts and get back to you soon.

//Patrik

--
Patrik Karlsson
http://www.cqure.net