Nmap Development mailing list archives

Suggestion syntax (was:Script suggestions, take #3)

From: Martin Holst Swende <martin () swende se>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 10:46:01 +0100

Hi list,
Changing the topic, let's ignore the under-the-hood stuff for now.

I'd like to get feedback on the proposed syntax for script-suggest.
Right now,
we have two different versions.
1. --script-suggest <rules> and -sCS working in parallell with and
identical to --script <rules> and -sC
2. --script <rules>,$<rules>  , where $ (or whatever character we
choose) is a flag meaning "use this rule for suggestions", similar to
the force-flag.

Currently, [1] is implemented (based on discussions in
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2011/q4/389) and involved quite a lot of
changes here and there. [2] is not implemented, but would mean less
overall changes in the nmap framework. My personal preference is [1],
Patrick leans towards [2]. David, Fyodor, Patrik, Duarte?

Some examples and discussions below: