Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Port Exclusion option?

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:15:08 -0600

On 01/30/2012 06:26 PM, Mike Santillana wrote:
Hello –

I was wondering if port exclusion functionality can be introduced into
nmap. I tried looking around the web and read the man pages many times, but
I found no solution using nmap (besides making a tedious script to do it
for me)

Example usage:

Let’s say we begin the penetration test doing an initial scan for web
services, just to get some results for us to review as well as the sites
that they may reveal. After we get our initial results, I generally like to
start doing a broader scan or perhaps a full scan, depending on the scope,
while I review manually inspect each site, take notes, etc. I’d like to be
able to start a broader scan excluding already scanned ports. I’d prefer
not to scan 80,443,8080,8081 and any other targeted ports again when I do a
full port scan. This can save considerable amount of time I feel. Also,
what if I do –top-ports 100. I’d like to exclude those top 100 ports while
I do a full scan.

If anyone has any other solution to this, please let me know. Otherwise,
I’d like to propose that this functionality be included.

Regards

The only restriction that I know of is to add an Exclude directive to your nmap-service-probes file, but that won't avoid the port scan, just the version detection phase.

Dan