Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 14:47:20 -0800

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 05:37:02PM +0000, Justin Store wrote:
Hello,

I'm having issues with nmap reporting different results each time it
is run. For example, if run a ping sweep on the subnet I will get a
different amount of hosts online with each scan. I know my hosts
aren't going down and I can even ping them using windows. I'm just
wondering if you have heard of this or have any ideas as to why this
is happening. Port scan's are consistent but arp/ping sweeps are not.
I was wondering if it was something with my switches since arp isn't
reliable and tcp is but I don't think it's that either as we have
decent managed switches and no other network issues. There are only
about 40 devices on the network but nmap will tell me anywhere from 20
to ~40. If this question is better directed elsewhere, please let me
know.

It will help if you can show us the exact command you're running as well
as some sample output.

Try using the -d or --packet-trace options to see what is going on. Use
--send-ip to disable ARP scan and try other ping options.

David Fifield