Nmap Development mailing list archives

Higher parallelism under MS Windows

From: Henri Doreau <henri.doreau () greenbone net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 11:30:06 +0100

Hello,

I read on a microsoft documentation page[1] that by default, the
select() function that we use for IO-multiplexing can't handle more
than 64 sockets. This is determined by the value of FD_SETSIZE, in
Winsock2.h. Under other systems, this value is usually much higher
(1024 typically). This prevents nmap users to use higher parallelism
values under microsoft windows. But the documentation also states that
if FD_SETSIZE is defined before Winsock2.h is included, then the
user-defined value is used instead.

Sounds to me like an easy way to get rid of the limitation. Is there a
reason why nmap doesn't re-define this constant? Or does it, somehow?
Otherwise could someone familiar with windows development give this a
try?

Regards.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms740141%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

--