Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Consistent IP fields naming in packet.lua

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 17:26:43 -0800

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 03:46:08PM +0100, Henri Doreau wrote:
Hello,

2012/1/13 Henri Doreau <henri.doreau () greenbone net>:
Hello,

I've noticed a problem with low level code intended to deal with both
IPv4 and IPv6.

e.g.: nselib/data/packetdecoders.lua:273
"""
if ( not(self.dups[("%s:%s"):format(p.ip_src,st)]) ) then
"""

This doesn't work with IPv6 packets as p.ip_src is nil, scripts should
do: "p.ip_src or packet.toipv6(p.ip6_src)" instead. This is
complicated and other fields like ip6 or ip_v already allow to quickly
know the IP version of a packet.

I would suggest a change in packet.lua to make the library use the
same names for identical fields between IPv4 and IPv6.
[...]

Did anyone had an opportunity to look at the patches? Even if we don't
change packet.lua (though I strongly suggest we do), we should at
least fix the code which is currently broken with IPv6.

Please commit it. It looks good.

David Fifield