Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Changes to dhcp-discover and dhcp.lua

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 15:01:20 -0600

On 12/27/2011 12:51 PM, Patrik Karlsson wrote:
Hi list,

I noticed some problems with the dhcp-discover script while working on some
other stuff.
I tested the script against a bunch of different DHCP servers and noticed
that I wasn't getting any results.
The problem was most likely introduced when we re-wrote a bunch of scripts
to use the unconnected socket code.
What happens is that the script first sends a unicast DHCPDISCOVER request
to the server, the server then allocates an IP and sends the response back
to that new IP.
The script previously used pcap to pick up that response, as it was not
addressed to the host running the script.
When we incorrectly replaced that pcap-code with a listening socket the
script no longer sees the response.

A while back I implemented a similar script that gets the same information
by using a broadcast request (broadcast-dhcp-discover) instead of unicast.
So, instead of putting the old pcap code back in I changed the code to send
a DHCPINFORM request instead.
The upside of this change is:
* it doesn't suffer from the problem that it doesn't see the response
* it doesn't allocate a new IP for the client
* it gets the same information as the DHCPDISCOVER request does

The downside is that it doesn't work against all DHCP server
implementation, according to the old script documentation.
I've committed this change and some bug fixes and code cleanup in the DHCP
library as r27661.
What I would also like to suggest is that we break out the DoS
functionality in the script to a separate script, maybe dhcp-dos?
This way we could remove the script from the intrusive category, which
would be a good thing in my opinion.

Cheers,
Patrik
I absolutely agree with separating the DoS function into another script. Running anything that mentions DoS in my environment brings the wrath of management down on me. I would also like to throw in my vote for re-supporting as many variations as possible. I think that getting information of all kinds from a network is one of Nmap's strengths.

Dan