Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: first step into nmap

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 20:52:31 -0800

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 12:27:58AM +0100, kensi takado wrote:
Hi,
I've used nmap as preferred tool for a while now so i decided to give
something back to the community behind this great tool, and as my first
contribution to nmap project, i want to tackle the "duplicates" idea from
the "nmap script ideas" page.
I have zero experience with Lua and an average experience with c++.
I would like to know if i'm taking a good entrance to nmap, or other
starting points might be better than writing scripts.

That's great that you want to start writing scripts! I think the
duplicates script was already started by Patrik Karlsson, but he may
comment about that. duplicates is a bit more complicated than other
scripts, because it will probably have multiple rules: a hostrule and
portrule that record information for detecting duplicates, and a
postrule that compares that information. That said, there is probably
room for more than one to work on this script, because of the multiple
duplicate detection mechanisms that are possible.

Some other ideas on the script ideas page don't require any special
technique--they just need someone to spend some time understanding and
implementing the protocol.

David Fifield