Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Script suggestions

From: Duarte Silva <duarte.silva () serializing me>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:43:16 +0000

On Monday 28 November 2011 00:52:35 David Fifield wrote:
On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 10:34:44PM +0000, Duarte Silva wrote:
The script option may be specified without arguments. So if you could
take it as an example I guees it would make your live easier ;)

--script requires an argument. You may be thinking of -sC (which is
really the short option -s taking the argument "C" in disguise).

It's possible to have options that take optional arguments, but I don't
think we should because it works in a suprising way. It requires you to
use '=' instead of a space after the option.

Then, it seems the two options, -scS (no arguments) and --script-suggest (same
arguments as --script) are viable options. As I come to think about it, this
way is even better.

First use case (mostly the current behaviour):

- User wants to scan a host and run some scripts;
- User also wants to get some suggestions;
- User specifies: --script="vul and exploit" -scS;
- Nmap executes the matching scripts for "vuln and exploit" and the suggest
any others that aren't in those categories.

Second use case:

- User wants to scan a host and get some suggestions;
- User specifies: -scS;
- Nmap gives all the suggestions that match the host;

Third use case:

- User wants to scan a host and get some suggestions limited by category;
- User specifies: --scriptsuggest="vuln and exploit";
- Nmap gives all the suggestions limited by category that match the host;

David Fifield

Regards,
Duarte Silva