Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: bug nmap 5.51 in windows xp sp 2

From: Rob Nicholls <robert () robnicholls co uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 16:16:55 +0000

On 25.11.2011 16:08, Ron wrote:
Those ports aren't 'open', they're 'unknown'.

I don't know what would cause that, though, I'll leave that up to
people who know Nmap's internals.

IIRC you always see it when doing a SYN and service scan against the localhost on Windows. It'll skip the port scan as it can't do the SYN scan against localhost, but the service scan will then run and presumably assign the ports for all the services as unknown (I've not looked at the internals either). It'd be nice if it could skip the service scan if it knows the port scan was skipped for that host.

Ron

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 06:27:53 +0800 (SGT) Newbie Nux