Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: bug Nmap 5.61TEST2

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 09:44:27 -0600

Diego,

torify is a program which forces another program to use a SOCKS proxy
for all of its connections. SOCKS proxies handle TCP streams,
abstracting away the details of the transport, network, and link
layers. Nmap requires the ability to manipulate and observe all those
layers, so it will never be fully compatible with SOCKS proxies.

I have been able to get Nmap to give slightly useful results (though
full of warning messages) through a SOCKS proxy by using the
--unprivileged flag. This tells Nmap to not use features (like OS
detection, half-open SYN scanning, ICMP ping, etc) that require root
privileges. In general, this limits Nmap to a TCP connect scan, which
should work through a proxy, but in my experience gives only
halfway-useful results (lots of false positives, if I recall
correctly).

Some TCP scanners do work through SOCKS proxies: Metasploit's
auxiliary/scanner/portscan/tcp for one. If you want to submit a bug
report for Nmap scanning through a proxy, use the --unprivileged flag
and then submit your report. Any other type of scan will never be
proxy-capable.

Dan