Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ipv6-node-info script

From: Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 20:00:11 +0100

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 9:48 PM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>wrote:

Hi,

I have just committed a new script, ipv6-node-info. This script gets
hostnames, IPv4 and IPv6 addresses using Node Information queries from
RFC 4620. Sample output looks like this:

| ipv6-node-info:
|   Hostnames: mac-mini.local
|   IPv6 addresses: fe80::a8bb:ccff:fedd:eeff, 2001:db8:1234:1234::3
|_  IPv4 addresses: (actually hostnames) mac-mini.local

Luis and I discovered Node Information queries while developing the IPv6
OS engine (one of the OS probes is a NI query). I have only been able to
get this script to work against Mac OS X on a link-local address. It
doesn't seem to work when run against a routed address. The fingerprints
we've gotten so far indicate that it should also work against some
versions of OpenBSD and Apple iOS.

The "actually hostnames" above is because of an apparent bug where OS X
returns a list of host names instead of a list of IPv4 addresses. The
script checks for this and inserts "actually hostnames" when it detects
that.

David Fifield

I've tested this script from OS X 10.7.2 against OS X 10.7.2.
I'm seeing "sendmsg: No route to host" from the script, however Nmap show
some open ports.
I've tried supplying %en0 at the end of the address and setting -e en0 as
argument.
Also, I think that scripts requiring privileged mode should return an error
saying so instead of failing silently.

Let me know if I missed something obvious or if you need me to do more
testing.

//Patrik
--
Patrik Karlsson