Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [nmap-svn] r26641 - nmap

From: "Luis MartinGarcia." <luis.mgarc () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 11:59:40 +0200

Author: fyodor
Date: Mon Sep 19 16:37:05 2011
New Revision: 26641

Log:
Add a note to the failed to resolve error message that you might need to use -6.  It is a mistake I keep making :)

Modified:
   nmap/TargetGroup.cc

Hi,

Since the symbol ":" is not allowed in hostnames or IPv4 addresses,
can't we make Nmap assume "-6" by default when one of the targets
contains ":"? I don't see any case where a user would use ":" in a
target if he doesn't mean IPv6. Even in the remote case that we wanted
to support syntaxes like "insecure.org:443", we could always check for
more than one colon, since IPv6 addresses have a least two (eg. fe80::1).

Regards,

Luis.