Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: scanning Mac OS X with nmap

From: Tom Sellers <nmap () fadedcode net>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 16:59:26 -0500

On 9/28/2011 3:56 AM, Asli Koksal wrote:
Hello all,

I am trying to scan a Mac OS X 10.7.1 machine. When I run nmap as normal
user it gives me the output as below:

nmap -PN 10.0.0.11

Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2011-09-28 11:52 EEST

Nmap scan report for 10.0.0.11

Host is up (0.035s latency).

Not shown: 99 closed ports

PORT     STATE    SERVICE

1720/tcp filtered H.323/Q.931

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1.69 seconds

But the same machine I try the same command as su, it gives no results:

sudo nmap -PN --osscan-guess -F 10.0.0.11

Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2011-09-28 11:53 EEST

Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 0.35 seconds

What can be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

The primary difference between your two examples is the inclusion of the -F switch on the second scan.  This
parameter tells Nmap to perform a Fast scan that only hits the most common 100 ports.  Your first scan
used the default port list which is the top 1000 most common ports.  You may wish to review the following
reference link:   http://nmap.org/book/man-port-specification.html

To perform a scan of all ports you may wish to use the following command

sudo nmap -sS -PN -p- 10.0.0.11

The use of '-p-' tells Nmap to scan ALL ports.

Keep in mind that the above command, like the commands that you specified, does not tell Nmap to scan UDP
ports, only TCP ports.

Good luck,
Tom