Nmap Development mailing list archives

Luis' Status Report - #17 of 17

From: "Luis MartinGarcia." <luis.mgarc () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 00:16:14 +0200

Hi!

I'm very sorry for being so late with this report but yesterday the
filesystem of my Linux died and I had to struggle to get my data back
and reinstall everything. Thanks to my friends dd_rescue and
fsck.reiserfs, everything is back to normal.

So this is my last GSoC report. First of all I'd like to say that it's
been a pleasure working for the Nmap project again. I had a really good
time working with David on the new IPv6 OS detection engine. We still
need to make some improvements to it but hopefully the engine will be
ready soon for everybody to fingerprint their IPv6 stacks. I'd also like
to publicly thank David for all the hard work he has put in the project,
far beyond a regular mentorship.

Finally, here are the accomplishments since my last report:

Accomplishments:

* Tested and improved IPv6 extension support, fixing a few bugs.
* Improved support for TCP options.
* Fixed "READ-PCAP killed: Resource temporarily unavailable" error.
* Changed the way probes are generated so some probes do not get
  sent if we haven't found open or closed ports in the target.
* Better handling of timed probes.
* Fixed a few bugs in the probe retransmission process.
* Fixed a few bugs that caused the engine to hang in certain cases.
* Fixed a problem with Ethernet devices on Windows.
* Improved output.
* Some other minor bugfixes and code cleanup.
* Had a meeting with David and scheduled a final one for this week.

Priorities:

* Implement additional OS detection probes.
* Do a lot more testing.

Regards,

Luis MartinGarcia.