Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: OS submissions question

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 14:34:58 -0700

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 06:01:01PM +0300, Shinnok wrote:
On 07/29/2011 03:07 PM, Shinnok wrote:

Or all of them were submitted to http://nmap.org/submit/ ? Nmap is
really popular if so. :)

Well, with millions of users, Nmap actually is pretty popular :).  But
that is only a small part of the story.  The Nmap project is really
fortunate that many of the users are passionate enough to contribute
back to the project.  Code contributions are wonderful, but even
non-programmers can contribute in other ways (like submitting
OS/Service fingerprints and corrections).

David is currently working on the latest batch of 1,638 OS fingerprint
submissions and 1,383 service submissions.  One thing we don't get
enough of are corrections.  If Nmap OS detection ever gives wrong
results (even if it is just off by a version number or is slightly too
specific), please submit a correction to http://nmap.org/submit/.  The
current batch David is working on only has 69 OS corrections.  I wish
that was because our system was near-perfect, but I think it is really
because people are less likely to submit corrections.  In many cases
it just doesn't cross their mind.  It's not like an unidentified OS
where Nmap can detect the problem and print a big blob of text
(fingerprint) and a submission URL and say PLEASE SUBMIT THIS.

Cheers,
Fyodor