Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 ranges

From: Xu Weilin <mzweilin () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 09:25:53 +0800

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Luis MartinGarcia. <luis.mgarc () gmail com>wrote:

Hi!

Here are my two cents:

I think we could define "large IPv6 remote network" as a net bigger than
/96. A /96 is equivalent to the whole IPv4 address space so I guess
scanning something as big as the current Internet, should be the limit.
In my opinion, anything bigger than a /96 should make Nmap fatal. Of
course, we could add something like a --force option, but I really don't
think that Nmap should only warn users when they request some crazy
stuff like a /64.

It's reasonable to limit the target network scale before we develop some
effective host discovery methods on remote sites. In a addition, we have
introduced other notations besides CIDR so that it isn't enough if we only
limit the netmask. For example, the scale of '2001::1-ff:1-ff:*/128' is
equal with /96.

Also, Weilin, if it is easy to do, It would be great if the code that
handles IPv6 ranges was placed in libnetutil. That way other tools like
Nping or Ncat could use it.

I'm not familiar with these code at the moment, but I will discuss with
David on the next meeting. Thanks.

--
Regards
Xu Weilin 许伟林