Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSElib] torsocks5.lua

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 09:22:29 -0700

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 06:35:04PM +0200, Gutek wrote:
Hi devs

I'm working on a stress-test script which, among other tricks, uses TOR
features.
For this purpose I needed a lib to handle some TOR-proxified queries,
and this is a derivated
version to deal with your local socks v5 service.
Give it a host, port and payload, and it should return a socks status
along with the answer
from the distant target. Simple.

This looks nice. The torsocks5 library looks very similar to
socksHandshake in the proxy.lua library; what are the main differences.
I would prefer to have a library handling "SOCKS" instead of "Tor
SOCKS"; Tor-related scripts can do whatever extra they need to deal with
specifics of Tor.

The status reporting needs to change. Instead of returning a status
containing an error string, return nil followed by an error string. This
is the standard used in other libraries and avoids having to do string
comparison to detect errors.

David Fifield