Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] XML Parser RFC

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 17:37:45 -0700

On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 05:28:10PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
We need to answer the questions: what will people want to accomplish
with this library? Unfortunately, both SAX and DOM are far less than
ideal for processing XML. They seems to be biased toward ease of
implementation rather than ease of use.

For a small XML parsing library, I have admired Pico XML
(http://kd7yhr.org/bushbo/pico_xml.md). It uses a "pull parsing" model,
which is like the event callback model, except you call pico_next when
you're ready instead of waiting for a callback.

The main thing I like is that it's 600 lines of C, which is rather
astounding. Knowing a little about XML, I wouldn't have thought it
possible. Having such a tiny XML library in NSE would be great and then
I wouldn't worry so much about HTML compatibility, maintenance, or
external dependencies. But still we would have to make sure that it
would at least serve for the XML "parsing" we're already doing.

David Fifield