Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Problems to use or build portable ncat

From: Shinnok <admin () shinnok com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 20:43:01 +0300

Hi Alfredo,

My comments embedded bellow:

On 7/12/2011 12:04 AM, Alfredo Esteban wrote:
Hi,

First at all, thanks for developing nmap. It is a very powerfull tool.

I'm trying to use the portable ncat version. My first attempt was to
download the compiled version from Shinnok:

http://trunk.shinnok.com/ncat.exe
http://trunk.shinnok.com/ncat_upx.exe

that I found in this link:

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2011/q2/1090

The problem is that it doesn't work when I use "-l" flag. I get the
following message:

C:\>ncat.exe -vvv -l 4555
Ncat: Version 5.52.IPv6.Beta2 ( http://nmap.org/ncat )
Ncat: Listening on 0.0.0.0:4555
NCAT DEBUG: Initialized fdlist with 102 maxfds
NCAT DEBUG: Added fd 1948 to list, nfds 1, maxfd 1948
NCAT DEBUG: Added fd 0 to list, nfds 2, maxfd 1948
setsockopt: No error

I verified 4555 port is free and Windows firewall is disable. In fact,
standard ncat works fine in the same conditions.

The version you are using there is not the one in my trunk. My builds
are based on:
Ncat: Version 5.51 ( http://nmap.org/ncat )

Fyodor's build on nmap.org/ncat reports the same header as mine,
although the filename is ncat-portable-5.59BETA1. Fyodor, why is that?
If the build was to be based on 5.59BETA1 the header should have been:
Ncat: Version 5.59BETA1 ( http://nmap.org/ncat )
Did you base on 5.51 stable like I did and then cherry-picked only the
Ncat Portable commits to it?
Or did you build the static version before updating version numbers in
svn to 5.59BETA1?

Alfredo, It seems that you are not running a portable version of Ncat,
since none of the builds I know of are based on 5.52.IPv6.Beta2. I
tested again both my builds and the official one on the nmap site and
they both work with your exact command. You might want to check your
environment PATH variable.

So I tried to compile it myself with Visual Studio Express Edition following
the instruction from:

https://secwiki.org/w/Nmap/Ncat_Portable

But I can't complete the step:

"Switch the active solution configuration to "Ncat Static" and then close
the Configuration Manager. Make sure that the nsock, nbase and ncat projects
have switched to the "Static" configuration also."

I can't find the "Ncat Static" configuration in the Configuration Manager.

Thank you,

Alfredo
This might be because you downloaded nmap-5.51.tar.bz2  and not
nmap-5.59BETA1.tar.bz2.
This is my fault since in the wiki steps I recommended latest from svn
or latest stable release,however the latter is wrong, since the latest
stable release 5.51 does not contain the Ncat Portable changes and
5.59BETA1 is the developmentrelease that introduced these changes.
I modified the Wiki page to state so and will update it once a new
stable release is made.

Thanks,
Shinnok