Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Call for testers: nsock-engines experimental branch

From: Henri Doreau <henri.doreau () greenbone net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 22:59:04 +0200

2011/7/9 Luis Martín García <luis.martingarcia () gmail com>:
[...]
I tested nmap and nping and, as I said, they work as expected.

Hi Luis,

thank you very much for testing.

I'm not sure this is relevant but I've noticed that Nping finishes a bit
later when I run it with the new nsock than with the old. I attach the
output of three different runs for each version. Files named newX.txt
correspond to the new nsock, files named oldX.txt correspond to the old.

Great that you noticed that. I'm not entirely sure yet but I think
that this is due to a non optimized (yet) aspect of the epoll engine,
according to my strace based investigations.

Functions from nsock_core.c call engine->iod_modify() every time they
want to set or clear an event (socket_. This is not optimal as the
engine->iod_modify() function would be able to handle everything in a
single call...
For select this is not really a problem as it simply toggles a bit in
a fd_set: a very cheap operation. For epoll it's more expensive as
epoll_ctl is called...

I'll work on improving this.

Thanks again.

--