Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] http-slowloris, check if a webserver is prone to the Slowloris DoS attack

From: Ange Gutek <ange.gutek () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 18:48:19 +0200

Thank you for those valuable advices. With a (huge) late, here is a fixed
version

Le 24/05/2011 00:03, Patrick Donnelly a écrit :
o Don't change the random seed. I just made a commit in 23266 making
this unnecessary for scripts. NSE does it on your behalf.

Done

o You can use a mutex so that you can run against multiple hosts but
only one slowloris script is ever running (so you don't overload the
host system). Something like nmap.mutex("slowloris") with a lock and
unlock at the beginning and end of the action function would suffice.

Done

o The formatting makes the script really hard to follow. Can you try
fixing it?

Did my best, I hope it's more readable now

o You can move the doHalfhttp and doMonitor functions outside of the
action function. There are no upvalues (external local variables [1])
that these functions need access to inside the action function.

Done

o I don't think you need to use the registry in this script. Why not
use local variables at the start of the script like:

local threads = 0 -- previously:
nmap.registry[host.ip]['slowloris_threads']
local sockets = 0 -- previously:
nmap.registry[host.ip]['slowloris_sockets']
local queries = 0 -- previously:
nmap.registry[host.ip]['slowloris_queries']
local serverup = true -- previously:
nmap.registry[host.ip]['httpmonitor_serverup']

Done

Regards,

A.G.